top of page

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) 

WEB watermark-30%.png

1) Where can I study physiotherapy?

A bachelor's degree in physiotherapy is offered at the University of the West Indies Mona Campus. This is the only university within the Caribbean where physiotherapy can be studied. Apart from this there are many doctoral programmes offered in the USA and other programmes around the world. 



2) How can I become a physiotherapist? 
In order to become a physiotherapist you are required to complete a Bachelors or Masters programme in physiotherapy. 



3) What are the requirements to work as a physiotherapist in Barbados?
You are required to be registered as a physiotherapist with the paramedical council of Barbados, obtain a work permit or CARICOM pass/ CSME certificate. 



4) How can I register to practice in Barbados?
You will be required to submit copies of your certificates and other documents to the paramedical council of Barbados for approval. More information can be obtained by emailing the secretariat at 



5) How can I join the BPTA? 
New physiotherapists and graduates are welcome to join our association as full members. Yearly membership fees of $100 are due in July and paid to the association's Treasurer. BPTA members are entitled to a variety of benefits and continuing education opportunities.

6) What is the difference between a physiotherapist and an occupational therapist?

A physiotherapist helps improve the quality of movement of the human body whereas an occupational therapist helps improve the quality of participation in an individuals’ daily functional tasks (For example writing, bathing, feeding one's self). 

bottom of page